From time to time, we get that dreaded feeling of sameness in our lives. The same 'ol routine and the constant reminder every morning that today is another opportunity to do what you did yesterday. Sure, you can temporarily refresh yourself by taking a walk outside, hang out with the girls for a spa day or go out on a date with a handsome fellow. By the way, I am a strong advocate of daily renewal by engaging in activities that will give you small moments of relief and quietness to boost your energy and your mind. However, periodically it's vital to make a life change to interrupt repetitiousness that can cause you to overlook those deeply embedded aspirations tugging away at your heart and life's purpose.
Daily routines and structure are necessary for productivity and achieving goals, but every now and then, we must stop to take a look at ourselves and determine if we need to introduce something different, adventurous and challenging to our world, in order to optimize our lives and create unforgettable experiences. Do you need to shake things up a bit? Assess your life to determine where changes need to occur.
Here are 5 ways to provide renewal and to produce more meaning in your life. Break out of that rut and shake things up!
1. Go on an adventure by taking a road trip spanning 1 - 2 weeks. If that doesn't wet your appetite, consider traveling abroad to visit a country you've been eager to visit.
2. Create a whole new direction through a career change. If there's a dream that's been tugging at your heart and mind for a long while now and you've maxed out your current state, perhaps now is the time to research, plan and prepare to pursue a new passion that would be more satisfying to your soul.
3. Make a health and body transformation. For some, your doctor said it's time to hang up the old ways of eating and exercise more, in order to decrease health risks. Maybe you just want to lose some weight to feel better inside and out. Now is the time to invest in yourself by connecting with a fitness professional to help get you started on your journey.
4. Sign up for a one-day event that will challenge you in some way. Consider activities that you would typically never get involved in, which makes it even more exciting. Some ideas are a 5k run or walk that benefits a charity or a non-profit organization. If you love to cook, find out who's having a cook-off (or bake-off) in your city. It can serve as a platform for you to show off your culinary skills.
5. Learn something new by taking an online course, a life-enrichment class at your local community college or earn a degree. For some of you, it may be an advanced degree. Research online to get some ideas of topics that peak your interest. Maybe you'd like to learn how to design clothing, paint on canvas, speak a second language, play an instrument or get a degree in Political Science. Choose what your heart desires and have fun with it.
The point is to do something different. It may be something you've always dreamed of doing, but haven't found the time because you've been so focused on caring for others. Perhaps you just need a new hobby that can break up the monotony of everyday life. So, discover and create new adventures and new chapters in the story of your life. As it's commonly said, "you only live once (YOLO)." Make the most of it, today.
Alice is an Educator, Coach, Speaker and Author. She loves teaching women how to create peaceful lives through purpose & productivity.